10th June 2022, 6:30pm, The Angel Pub, Rotherhithe: Jarel Robinson-Brown, ‘Prayer in Early North Africa.’
Jarel is Assistant Curate at St Botolph-without-Aldgate and Visiting Scholar at Sarum College Salisbury, prior to this he was Associate Chaplain at King’s College London. He will share with us something of how early Christians in Africa prayed, the content of their prayers - and what we can learn from the practice of prayer in African Late Antiquity.
22nd July 2022, 6:30pm, The Angel Pub, Rotherhithe: Charlie Watkins, ‘Silence is Kept: Considering the Role of Silence in Life and Faith.’
Charlie works for All Hallows-by-the-Tower, the oldest church in the City of London. He moved to London to study music, which continues to undergird his philosophical and theological thought.
23rd September 2022, 6:30pm. Andrew Bishop, ‘“Both waking and sleeping”: a theological look at sleep’.
Father Andrew Bishop is priest-in-charge of Croydon Minster and author of Theosomnia: A Christian Theology of Sleep. He will share with us reflections on the theological themes that a consideration of sleep raises. Bring your own pillow…
Also check out the new Beer and Theology Cambridge: https://www.grahamkings.org/article/beer-and-theology-cambridge/
Past Beer and Theology Events (London)
54. Lia Shimada. 08/04/2022. ‘Mapping Faith: Theologies of Migration and Community.’
53. Joshua Penduck. 04/03/2022. ‘The Forgotten Revolution: Or, how pop culture reshaped the Western heart.’
52. Alianore Smith. 28/01/2022. ‘A Christian response to modern day slavery and violence.’
51. Gary Jenkins. 26/11/2021. ‘The Church’s engagement with people from working class Communities.’
50. Kerry Yong. 29/10/2021. ‘From recitation to improvisation: reflections on musical practice, reading scripture and ad-libbing life.’
49. Richard Gatti. 24/09/2021. ‘The Church as Building.’
48. Stanley Njoka. 23/07/2021. ‘Hospital Chaplaincy during Covid.’
47. Rachel Noel. 21/05/2021. ‘Theology at the Borders of Psychosis: Transcendence of the artificial borders of sanity.’
46. Alan Gregory. 23/04/2021. ‘Does the Church need Futurology as well as Eschatology?’
45. David Clough. 19/03/2021. ‘Pandemics, deforestation and animal agriculture: How is animal agriculture connected with pandemic risks, biodiversity loss, and the climate crisis?’
44. Daphne Clifton. 19/02/2021. ‘Well-being, delegation and conflict: exploring the powerful mix of faith and work.’
43. Rosemarie Mallett. 15/01/2021. ‘“Mum, are we there yet?” Race, Gender and Class in the Mother Church – a testament to staying power and resilience.’
42. Corin Pilling. 13/11/2020. '"Jesus, Remember me, when you come into your kingdom." Exploring what dementia teaches us about personhood and the heart of God.'
41. Murray Macaulay. 16/10/20. 'We have no art, we do everything as well as we can’ (Sr Mary Corita).
40. Julie Gittoes. 25/9/20. ‘Great Realisations: the Church and Covid'.
39. Graham Kings. 17/7/20. ‘Nourishing Connections’, poems on women in the Bible.
38. James Mumford. 19/6/20. Vexed: Ethics Beyond Political Tribes.
37. Margaret Pritchard Houston. 22/5/20. Children, Childhood, God and Church.
36. Jay Colwill, 24/4/20. What are we learning about mission and the church during Covid 19?
35. Simon Hughes. 28/2/20. Politically and academically - is the UK a first class country any more?
34. Sarah Howard-Jones. 24/1/20. From Civil Service to Ordination.
33. Stephen Godsell. 22/11/19. Wittgenstein and Newspapers Today.
32. Peter Welby. 18/10/19. Engaging with Islam.
31. Maria Wyard. 13/9/19. The State of Public Service Today.
30. Jane Steen. 19/7/19. Dr Johnson: Lay Theologian.
29. Adrian and Tom Greenwood. 14/6/19. Civil Society Futures.
28. Margaret Cave. 10/5/19. Being an Evangelist in the Parish.
27. Mark Clavier. 29/3/19. Consumer Culture: Insights from Augustine.
26. Muthuraj Swamy. 22/2/19. Reconciliation.
25. Hannah Swithinbank. 11/1/19. International Development and Lifestyle Choices.
24. Dr Frank Curry. 23/11/18. Jesus, the Church and the Poor?
23. Jemma Gilbert. 27/10/18. Social Prescription.
22. David Atkinson. 7/9/18. Climate Change.
21. Simon Stocks. 29/6/18. Lament.
20. Rose Waite. 25/5/18. Women and Power in the Workplace.
19. Loretta Minghella. 20/4/18. Power and Vulnerability.
18. Buki Fatona. 2/3/18. The Mind
17. Elizabeth Adekunle. 19/1/18. Feminism.
16. Guido de Graaff. 1/12/17. Friendship.
15. Dan Warnke. 27/10/17/ A Disabled Church?
14. Julie Gittoes 08/09/17. Singleness.
13. Prof Joanildo Burity 14/07/17. Religion and Politics in Brazil.
12. Dr Rachael Burke 16/06/17. Personhood, Death and the NHS.
11. Richard Sudworth 05/05/17. Christian-Muslim Relations.
10. Simon Lewis 17/03/2017. A Christian's heart for Art.
9. Jamie Klair 17/02/17. London's Nigerian Pentecostal Proliferation.
8. Dr Muthuraj Swamy 06/01/17. Inter Faith Dialogue: Is it Worth It?
7. Lily Botras 02/12/16. What Happened to the Arab Spring?
6. Andy Walton 04/11/16. Strike A Happy Media.
5. John Moffat SJ 16/09/16. Eucharistic Economics.
4. Angus Ritchie 01/07/16. What is Sacramental Life?
3. Jos Downey 13/05/16. Science and Theology.
2. Rebecca Gormally 18/03/16. Crisis in Children’s Care & Education.
1. David Barclay 05/02/16/ How churches talk about money.