Friday 23rd July, 6:30pm - Stanley Njoka on hospital chaplaincy during Covid
In reflecting on his chaplaincy work during the last 18 months, Stanley wrestles with the idea of balancing the compassionate care and the challenge whilst bringing calm to the trouble waters. The ministry of presence in its best when encountered by the darkness of unknowing, loss, fear, and love seems absent.
Fr Stanley is the Head of Chaplaincy and Spiritual Care for the Surrey and Sussex NHS Trust. He has studied in the areas of theology, ministry, and chaplaincy in Kenya and UK. Originally from Kenya, he notes that his heritage combined with his years abroad have inspired him to value the qualities of diversity, compassion, hospitality, and inclusion in all areas of life, whether within or outside the Church.
Also check out the new Beer and Theology Cambridge: https://www.grahamkings.org/article/beer-and-theology-cambridge/
Past Beer and Theology Events (London)
47. Rachel Noel. 21/05/2021. ‘Theology at the Borders of Psychosis: Transcendence of the artificial borders of sanity.’
46. Alan Gregory. 23/04/2021. ‘Does the Church need Futurology as well as Eschatology?’
45. David Clough. 19/03/2021. ‘Pandemics, deforestation and animal agriculture: How is animal agriculture connected with pandemic risks, biodiversity loss, and the climate crisis?’
44. Daphne Clifton. 19/02/2021. ‘Well-being, delegation and conflict: exploring the powerful mix of faith and work.’
43. Rosemarie Malllett. 15/01/2021. ‘“Mum, are we there yet?” Race, Gender and Class in the Mother Church – a testament to staying power and resilience.’
42. Corin Pilling. 13/11/2020. '"Jesus, Remember me, when you come into your kingdom." Exploring what dementia teaches us about personhood and the heart of God.'
41. Murray Macaulay. 16/10/20. 'We have no art, we do everything as well as we can’ (Sr Mary Corita).
40. Julie Gittoes. 25/9/20. ‘Great Realisations: the Church and Covid'.
39. Graham Kings. 17/7/20. ‘Nourishing Connections’, poems on women in the Bible.
38. James Mumford. 19/6/20. Vexed: Ethics Beyond Political Tribes.
37. Margaret Pritchard Houston. 22/5/20. Children, Childhood, God and Church.
36. Jay Colwill, 24/4/20. What are we learning about mission and the church during Covid 19?
35. Simon Hughes. 28/2/20. Politically and academically - is the UK a first class country any more?
34. Sarah Howard-Jones. 24/1/20. From Civil Service to Ordination.
33. Stephen Godsell. 22/11/19. Wittgenstein and Newspapers Today.
32. Peter Welby. 18/10/19. Engaging with Islam.
31. Maria Wyard. 13/9/19. The State of Public Service Today.
30. Jane Steen. 19/7/19. Dr Johnson: Lay Theologian.
29. Adrian and Tom Greenwood. 14/6/19. Civil Society Futures.
28. Margaret Cave. 10/5/19. Being an Evangelist in the Parish.
27. Mark Clavier. 29/3/19. Consumer Culture: Insights from Augustine.
26. Muthuraj Swamy. 22/2/19. Reconciliation.
25. Hannah Swithinbank. 11/1/19. International Development and Lifestyle Choices.
24. Dr Frank Curry. 23/11/18. Jesus, the Church and the Poor?
23. Jemma Gilbert. 27/10/18. Social Prescription.
22. David Atkinson. 7/9/18. Climate Change.
21. Simon Stocks. 29/6/18. Lament.
20. Rose Waite. 25/5/18. Women and Power in the Workplace.
19. Loretta Minghella. 20/4/18. Power and Vulnerability.
18. Buki Fatona. 2/3/18. The Mind
17. Elizabeth Adekunle. 19/1/18. Feminism.
16. Guido de Graaff. 1/12/17. Friendship.
15. Dan Warnke. 27/10/17/ A Disabled Church?
14. Julie Gittoes 08/09/17. Singleness.
13. Prof Joanildo Burity 14/07/17. Religion and Politics in Brazil.
12. Dr Rachael Burke 16/06/17. Personhood, Death and the NHS.
11. Richard Sudworth 05/05/17. Christian-Muslim Relations.
10. Simon Lewis 17/03/2017. A Christian's heart for Art.
9. Jamie Klair 17/02/17. London's Nigerian Pentecostal Proliferation.
8. Dr Muthuraj Swamy 06/01/17. Inter Faith Dialogue: Is it Worth It?
7. Lily Botras 02/12/16. What Happened to the Arab Spring?
6. Andy Walton 04/11/16. Strike A Happy Media.
5. John Moffat SJ 16/09/16. Eucharistic Economics.
4. Angus Ritchie 01/07/16. What is Sacramental Life?
3. Jos Downey 13/05/16. Science and Theology.
2. Rebecca Gormally 18/03/16. Crisis in Children’s Care & Education.
1. David Barclay 05/02/16/ How churches talk about money.